Here's how I made it:
Put 4 eggs to boil.
In a medium pan I heated up 2 T peanut oil, and sauteed:
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 t roasted garlic (can substitute with some crushed garlic)
- 1 t grated ginger (instead of the galanga root)
- 1 T vegetarian red curry paste (figured it would be an excellent substitute for shrimp paste and red chilies)
- 1 t tamarind paste (instead of sugar and lime juice)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 6 candle nuts, ground (I used mortar and pestle, and it worked wonderfully!)
To accompany the sambal, I made Mark prepare pizza dough, of which he rolled out 5 pita-sized rounds, rubbed them in oil, and I cooked them in a small non-stick pan. They came out so soft and delicious, and were perfect for the sambal.