Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Coconut Potatoes

A few weeks ago I wanted to make something with potatoes and coconut milk. A google image search produced this Indian casserole (after sifting through all the mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk). I omitted the mushrooms, simply because I didn't have them, but otherwise, I made it as recommended. They turned out really good - spicy and creamy, and they go well with naan.


Here's how it was done:
You can get the chili-vinegar paste from an Indian grocery store, but it's a lot more fun to make it yourself. Just put the following ingredients in a food processor:
  • 1/4 c dried red chilies
  • 2 T wine vinegar
  • 1 t tamarind paste
  • 1/2 t cumin seeds
  • 1/2 t peppercorns
  • 1/2 turmeric
  • 1 t roasted garlic
  • a small chunk of ginger (~1 cm)
  • a sprinkle of cinnamon
Puree everything, and your casserole is pretty much done!
Next you will need potatoes (I used about 6 medium to small potatoes), and some green onions (I used 4 big ones from our garden). Amounts may vary according to your needs and taste.
  • Mix 1-2 T of the paste with a can of coconut milk, add some salt to taste.
  • Layer potato slices in a casserole dish
  • Sprinkle chopped green onions
  • Pour 1/3 of chili-coconut mix
  • Repeat twice more
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour
A few days ago I made a summer version of this dish -- a lot less baking time -- by dicing the potatoes, and cooking them in the microwave for about 5 minutes in a covered bowl with a few drops of water. Then I cooked them on the stove with the coconut-chili mix and the green onions in a large pan for a few more minutes. It was much faster, especially since I already had prepared chili paste.

No comments: