Thursday, August 14, 2008

Stewed Mushroom Quesadilla

I had it first at the El Rodeo Restaurant in Raleigh. The one on Hillsborough, not the downtown one. They share the same name, and probably owners, but differ significantly in quality. It was so good, I did not believe I could ever make it myself. I kept getting pretty much the same thing whenever I went there (how I miss all those prospective-student-lunches and lab-outings!).
Finally I decided to give it a try, and was very surprised to find how easy it is!



It may not look very good, but believe me - it is delicious!

Here's how you make it:
  • Cut mushrooms into medium-sized chunks
  • Saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil
  • Add salt and oregano
  • Stir until the juices exuded from the mushrooms have all evaporated
  • Remove from heat
  • Warm up a griddle, and with the help of a flipper (spatula) spread a little bit of olive oil (1T for 2 large tortilla is plenty)
  • Now here's a trick I saw somewhere online. It yields great crispy quesadillas, and yet, quesadilla cooking shows never use it: You flip the tortillas every 10 seconds until they start to bubble and tan a bit
  • Now you have to be fairly quick: On half of the tortilla spread Mexican cheese, mushrooms, and cheese again, and fold
  • Press with the spatula and flip after a few seconds and press again until all cheese is melted
Serve with your favorite salsa!

No comments: