Finally I decided to give it a try, and was very surprised to find how easy it is!
It may not look very good, but believe me - it is delicious!
Here's how you make it:
- Cut mushrooms into medium-sized chunks
- Saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil
- Add salt and oregano
- Stir until the juices exuded from the mushrooms have all evaporated
- Remove from heat
- Warm up a griddle, and with the help of a flipper (spatula) spread a little bit of olive oil (1T for 2 large tortilla is plenty)
- Now here's a trick I saw somewhere online. It yields great crispy quesadillas, and yet, quesadilla cooking shows never use it: You flip the tortillas every 10 seconds until they start to bubble and tan a bit
- Now you have to be fairly quick: On half of the tortilla spread Mexican cheese, mushrooms, and cheese again, and fold
- Press with the spatula and flip after a few seconds and press again until all cheese is melted