Sunday, June 21, 2009

Stout Cake with Irish Cream Frosting

As per Kevin's request, the double birthday party cake I baked was a cake version of the chocolate stout cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World*. Just like the coconut cake I made based on the coconut cupcake recipe from the same book, the stout cake turned out DE-LI-CIOUS! Very moist, rich and chocolaty. Of course, Irish cream frosting doesn't hurt :)



It seems that converting a cupcake recipe into a cake is not that hard - you just double the ingredients, and lengthen the baking time:
  • 1.5 c soy milk
  • 2 t apple cider vinegar
  • 2 c plus 4 T all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 c cocoa powder
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 c stout
  • 1/5 c sugar
  • 2/3 c canola oil
  • 1 T vanilla extract
In a large bowl, combine soy milk and vinegar. In a separate bowl, sift all the dry ingredients besides sugar. Mix the sugar and stout into the milk, add oil and vanilla and whisk until well mixed. Add dry ingredients into large bowl and beat for about 2 minutes. Pour batter into a lightly oiled 9" cake pan (I like to use spring-form and line the bottom with parchment) and bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool and frost.

Irish Cream Frosting (not vegan):
  • 1 stick butter
  • 3 c powdered sugar
  • 3 T Irish Cream
Beat everything together until smooth.

* People in my lab must have realized I like this book, so they gave it to me as a farewell gift!! :)

1 comment:

Dani said...

I may have to do something drastic -- like tattoo this recipe to my forearm -- because I don't ever want to lose this.